This elegant, yet easy-to-prepare dessert looks like it took you much longer than it did. Granny Smith apples give this dessert a sweet, yet tart note that is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next dinner party. You can prepare Twice Baked Nola Apples ahead of time and finish them just before serving. Our Health Nut and Out of Africa GrainFreeNola granolas give these apples a delightful crunch.
If you don’t have Granny Smith apples available, look for Jonathan or Jonagold apples. These apples are very similar in flavor and how they behave when baked. Jonathan apples are mildly sweet and tart. Jonagolds are a combination of Jonathan and Golden Delicious, so it sways slightly on the sweeter side than tart. Both are crisp and juicy when eaten fresh and hold their shape well when baked. Of the two, Jonathans are probably a better choice.
Braeburn apples are part Granny Smith and exhibit many of the same great qualities, particularly for baking applications. They are slightly sweeter, however. As a side note, Braeburns have a very pretty reddish, pink exterior with streaks of yellow and green also makes for a lovely presentation in your fruit basket.
Twice Baked Nola Apple
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Two Bowls
- Knife for Coring Apples
- Small Pot or Microwavable Bowl
- Whisk (Optional)
- Potato Masher
- 3 ea Granny Smith Apples
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Raw Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Your Favorite Mawa's GrainFreeNola Flavor
- 3 tbsp Bitter Chocolate Paste Used for Out of
Africa Grain free Nola
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 ea Egg Yolks
- 1 pc 1 inch Vanilla Bean, Split
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the three apples in half and core them. Set them to the side on a baking sheet face side up. Carefully with a knife stab all over the apple, don't go all the way through.
- Seasoning the apples . In a small pan or in the microwave melt the butter. Once melted, paint the butter on the face side of the apples. Once the apples are coated take your brown sugar and sprinkle that over the top of the apples.
- Once heated stick the apples in the oven for 13 minutes, until golden and slightly mushy to the touch.
- With two bowls separate the egg whites from the yolks. In the bowl of the yolks add your sugar and mix until completely incorporated.Take a small pot adding the milk, heavy whipping cream and the vanilla bean.
- Put the pot on medium heat until simmering. Once simmering occurs take it off the heat bringing over to your egg mixture. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the bean, putting it into the mixture (reheat milk mixture if it becomes cold.) While stirring slowly add the milk to the egg mixture a little bit at a time until completely incorporated.
- Once fully incorporated place the mixture back in the pot to thicken up on the stove. While continuously mixing, let the mixture thicken on a low heat until you can make a path on the back of the spoon (about 5 minutes.)
- Take the mixture off the heat, pouring into a separate container to cool in the fridge until ready to be used. The mixture can be made a day in advance.
- When ready put the apples to the side to cool until warm to the touch. Carefully scoop the inside of the fruit out of the skin. Put the skin to the side to be used later on for holding the granola mixture.
- In a bowl put all the inside fruit, taking a masher to mash the apple. Add the GrainFreeNola, Vanilla, and Bitter chocolate paste (Chocolate for Out of Africa.) Mix thoroughly with your hands
- Take a small scoop in a ball putting it back inside the apple skin.
- Place the apples back on the baking sheet then cook for 5 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven to cool slightly.
- Plate, garnish with GrainFreeNola and enjoy.
- We recommend using Grain free Nola flavors Out of Africa and Health Nut.
- You can also add Crème Anglaise like we did for a richer dessert.
Shop the Recipe
Health Nut GrainFreeNola – 8 oz$14.95 Add to cart
Out of Africa GrainFreeNola – 8 oz$14.95 Add to cart
The Gift of Great Taste – All 5 Flavors$85.00 Add to cart
Health Nut GrainFreeNola – 4 oz (Upcoming)$8.95Available from: Coming SoonRead more
Out of Africa GrainFreeNola – 4 oz (Upcoming)$8.95Available from: Coming SoonRead more